2013-09-10

The Contributions of Esperanto to World Culture: Part 3: Hungary

Jen nova mia podkasto anglalingva: La kontribuo de Esperanto al monda kulturo: parto 3a: la Esperanto-hungara beletra konekso (daŭrigata). La cetero estas en la angla:

Here is my latest podcast:

9/7/13 The Contributions of Esperanto to World Culture: Part 3: The Esperanto-Hungarian Literary Connection (Continued) (53:36)

I reiterate the main points of parts 1 and 2, with a reminder of the importance of Esperanto for Hungarians then and now, especially as a conduit for Hungary's humanistic cultural heritage in the face of bigotry and barbarism. I then review the activities on behalf of Esperanto on the part of leading Hungarian writers associated with the literary journal "Nyugat" (1908-1941), with special attention to Mihaly Babits and Frigyes Karinthy. I also discuss the classic verse drama "The Tragedy of Man" by Imre Madach, with a passage in Esperanto and English translation. I outline the landmark Esperanto anthology of Hungarian literature of 1933, with a note on author Mor Jokai (1825-1904). I round out my presentation of the pre-World War II era by highlighting two additional Hungarian Esperantist writers, Lajos Tarkony and Imre Baranyai.

Following fascist, Nazi, and Stalinist repression, Esperanto publishing resumes in Hungary starting in 1956. I discuss the leading Hungarian Esperanto cultural magazine "Hungara Vivo" (1961-1990) and the prominent editor, scholar, and critic Vilmos Benczik. I summarize the literary achievements of two important postwar Hungarian Esperantist writers, Endre Toth and Istvan Nemere. I close with a quote from Graham Greene's novel "Stamboul Train".
At the beginning of part 3, I make a pointed remark about the resurgence of reactionary politics in Hungary, alluding to anti-Semitic and anti-Roma provocations.

Note that I reiterate the importance of Madách and Karinthy for Szathmári.

At the end I also mention Istvan Ertl.

My performance here is not perfect, but hopefully it is listenable. I tend to overdo details, but efforts such as these are rehearsals for future efforts.

 

No comments: